[mythtv-users] HDPVR problems - power supply again?

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 17:07:44 UTC 2019

On 8/14/19 2:19 PM, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 8/14/19 1:23 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> If the HDPVR is rated at 2 amps and it draws 15 amps from the PC, it
>> can certainly burst into flames.  The PC power supply will not be in
>> an over current situation - it can easily supply 15 amps.
>

> Thanks for the info!   An inline fuse should be trivial to wire in.

Just for the record, I got a cheap inline fuse holder
<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32691175691.html> and surprisingly I
didn't have much luck with it.   Wiring in a 2A fuse resulted in the
HD-PVR powering up, but not being recognizable to the computer.   I
swapped it with a 3A fuse, and it was now recognized over USB, but the
video quality had artifacts.  Sort of like interlacing issues, but
vertical.   My electronics knowledge doesn't really explain how a
non-blown 2A fuse could perform differently than a non-blown 3A fuse, so
perhaps it was just the mechanical re-seating of a fuse and subsequent
friction-fit that made the difference.

Anyway, I ended up soldering directly to the original 2A fuse, and
everything works fine now.  No, it's not terribly serviceable at this
point, but I figure if something blows out the 2A fuse, something pretty
catastrophic has happened anyway.

I guess the HD-PVR is pretty particular about the power quality that it
receives?

-WD