[mythtv-users] EIT EPG updating

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 10:33:52 UTC 2019

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 at 20:49, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Specifically, I have the SiliconDust HDHR Quatro setup in a clean
> install of Mythtv Light v30 (RP4) with all the backend stuff added to it
>  I unchecked all the boxes for the Capture cards
> to prevent active scanning, thinking that the other backend setting for
> getting the data 60 seconds after the tuner is inactive would be
> enough.  I left it this way for an hour and no guide data.

This is what it should do given that there are no tuners available for
the active scan.
The 60 second is the time to wait after a recording is finished before
an active scan is started. If there is no card to do an active scan
then nothing happens.

>  Even when
> watching TV, it didn't update the guide data.

This is something I never tested but it does not surprise me. Only
passive scan, i.e. processing EIT events only when a recording is
being made, will likely result in an halfway populated guide. This
depends very much on the broadcaster; some broadcasters send all the
guide data on every transport stream but some do not. For this reason
the active scan does scan all transports of the video source. Also, if
their would be only passive scan then the guide data would be quickly
out of date. Unless you make lots of recordings but then your tuner is
also in use.

> I change the Capture cards to make one tuner do Active scans and it
> started to get data.

This is the expected behaviour.

> Can someone explain this to me. I don't want to lockup one tuner just
> for EIT EPG data particularly when I have the HDHR on a network with
> other users.

I do recommend using one tuner for active scan. If you need all four
tuners for other purposes then switching of the RPi is maybe an
option.

Hope this helps,
Klaas.