[mythtv-users] Major Upgrading...

Richard Thomas rich at dicksonlife.com
Sun Sep 22 22:38:09 UTC 2019

On 9/22/2019 12:44 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:

> Long ago, when I made the mistake of upgrading 8.04 to whatever the
> refresh was at that time someone told me that Myth is an appliance and
> if it ain't broke don't fix it. So what you should be asking yourself
> is why do you want to upgrade and is it worth spending all your free
> time for a couple of weeks to do it.

Well, the truth is, I've moved things around a bit and my Myth box is no
longer in easy range of an RJ45 port and the fact is that 12.04 just
isn't that hot on wireless capabilities. There's also the case that for
some reason, it's started booting up in a subtly wrong resolution that
causes the interface to lag horribly (it can be fixed by changing the
resolution back but that's a bit of a bear). There's also the issue of
lacking h.265 capability where more and more stuff is coming encoded
that way. There's also the issue of command line access becoming
unusable once in a while (something appears to be killing IO. I think
it's the transcoding).