[mythtv-users] Disk filled up unexpectedly - Auto-expire not working?

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 19:41:00 UTC 2019

On 9/15/19 9:51 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> The
> other thing that is necessary for expiring is that the recordings are
> marked as being able to be expired.  So if you go into Information
> Centre > System Status > AutoExpire List, do you see recordings listed
> there that are on the partition that is full?

I've found that viewing this list via Information Center is a bit
awkward.  There are 328 recordings in the list, and it's not immediately
obvious how to easily search for a specific recording in this list.  I
have confirmed via MythWeb, however, that there are several recordings
on the recently-filled SSD that have the "Auto Expire" icon enabled.
None of those recordings were expired along the way as the drive
partition filled up to 100% while watching Live TV.

> One thing that may have changed since you last looked at expiry is
> that LiveTV now records to its own storage group, if it exists.  If
> the LiveTV storage group does not exist, LiveTV recordings will go to
> the Default storage group.  So if you do have a LiveTV storage group,
> does it only point to the drive that is full?  Or maybe it points to
> /var/lib/mythtv/livetv and that is on the system partition, and the
> system partition is full - in which case there may be no recordings on
> that partition that are able to be expired, as the regular recording
> files are on other partitions.

Yes, I have a "Live TV" storage group.  And currently the only directory
listed is /var/lib/mythtv/livetv, which is a symlink to a directory on a
separate partition (not any OS-related partitions).   I suppose I could
probably add another directory to the "Live TV" storage group.  But in
my mind, that seems like a workaround as opposed to just letting
auto-expire do it's thing.  Based on the symptoms I'm seeing, I'm not
convinced that auto-expire is working properly on my system.

-WD