[mythtv-users] mysql 8 grant statements syntax change (just info not a problem)

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Thu Oct 31 18:25:18 UTC 2019

On 10/31/19 1:24 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 4:57 PM Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So anyone using *ubuntu 19.10  for a clean install of mythtv
>> (frontend/backend) would be well advised to install mariadb-server
>> before installing mythtv
> Just a bit of a reality check.....
>
> FD: I have been using MariaDB for quite some time now
> (I was involved in some early discussions on this list
> regarding the (new and improved?) MariaDB offering).
> *But* the last formal statement that I recall by a MythTV
> elder was that MySQL is the officially supported solution,
> and while MariaDB will be tolerated, and if possible
> compatibility will be made to support either, if there is
> a conflict, MySQL wins in the projects process.
>
> There have been random proposals to flip that to be
> MariaDB first, and tolerate MySQL (if possible), given
> the reality of the current distro world, but AFAIK that
> has not gained traction among the decider class.
>
> As for the OP.  If you identified issues with the docs,
> please update the wiki (it is, after all, a user contributed
> effort, and it is only as good as people make it).
Forgive me if I'm not seeing the issue fully, but if the only file that
is affected by the MariaDB/MySQL 8 split is database/mc.sql, might it
not make sense to simply include a slightly different version of this
one file, named something like "mc-MySQL8-or-newer.sql"? The file mc.sql
hasn't changed since 2008, so it's not as though adding a variant would
lead to an undue maintenance cost.