[mythtv-users] VU+ HDTV Receiver as IPTV Tuner

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 01:19:36 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 8:14 PM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> [...]
> is a likely the cause of your problems, as MythTV can not work without
> access to its data from the database, and does many database accesses
> when starting Live TV.  Signal 11 is SIGSEGV - a segmentation error.
> Something in MariaDB is attempting to access memory outside the
> allocated areas.  So this pretty much has to be a MariaDB bug, but
> triggered by whatever MythTV was doing at the time.  Since you are
> running your MariaDB in a container, which is unusual for MythTV
> users, that raises suspicions that there could be a misconfiguration
> of the container that is causing the problem.  Some sort of resource
> starvation comes to mind.  If you want to find out exactly what MythTV
> is doing that triggers the problem, you can turn on debug output of
> all the database SQL requests in mythbackend.  While mythbackend is
> running, this command will tell it to start verbose logging of the
> SQL:
>
> mythbackend --setverbose database
>
> and this will turn off that verbose SQL output:
>
> mythbackend --setverbose nodatabase
>
> You should run this second copy of mythbackend as the same user that
> the main mythbackend is run from.  In my case (Ubuntu) that is root.
> The second copy of mythbackend just sends the appropriate logging
> command to the main copy and shuts down again.  But if you mistype the
> options on its command line, it will try to run as a daemon like the
> main copy, and you will need to manually kill it.
>
> There should also be a MariaDB log file that has more information
> about the crash.  You may need to change your MariaDB and/or Docker
> setup to get that.  In Ubuntu 18.04, the MariaDB log files are
> normally found in /var/log/mysql.
>
> It would also be helpful to increase the logging for mythbackend's
> recording process, so it logs more about how it starts up its tuners:
>
> mythbackend --setverbose record
>
> You can set multiple logging options in the same command:
>
> mythbackend --setverbose database,record
>
> When testing tuners, it is often better to do that by starting a
> recording, rather than using Live TV.  Live TV is rather more
> complicated than normal recordings.  I usually just set up a manual
> recording (Manage Recordings > Schedule Recordings > Manual Schedule)
> to test a tuner.  Although you can only make a manual recording start
> at 5 minute intervals, you can get the time down to one minute from
> the current time by using the pre-roll setting when you create the
> manual recording.  So if the current time is 15:20 and you want to
> start your test recording at 15:21, you set the start time to be 15:25
> and the duration to 5 minutes.  Then on the next screen you go into
> Schedule Options and set the pre-roll to be 4 minutes ("Start
> recording 4 minutes early").  You can then set the post-roll to "End
> recording 8 minutes early" and get a one minute recording.  Or you can
> just manually stop the recording from Manage Recordings > Upcoming

I also find it easier to rely on packet dumps versus MySQL logging.  To
find the query that is causing it, you can run tcpdump on lo (for a
combined backend/database server), or on your ethernet interface is the
database is on another server.

tcpdump -i lo -s0 -nn -w dump.cap port 3306

Once it crashes, the last query will be show (open dump.cap in wireshark)
and you can search for issues with said query afterward.