[mythtv-users] Video card recommendation sought. Thanks.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 29 21:22:48 UTC 2019

Thanks for the information.  It was useful.  Based on it and what
follows, I ended up getting this card:

VisionTek Radeon 5450 2GB DDR3 (DVI-I, HDMI, VGA) 900861

I have been using various nvidia cards and chipsets for many years and
have mostly gotten aggravation.  The nouveau driver hasn't worked
properly all too often and I've had to use the proprietary drivers,
which go away when nvidia decides a card is too old.  All my nvidia
cards became useless when I started using Debian 10 and not even the
legacy drivers supported them any more.  Thus, the Radeon selection.

Newegg is slightly more expensive than Amazon and not a single PCIe 3.0
showed up for less than $100, (I only selected Radeon per the above
paragraph) so had to go with a PCIe 2.1 card.  Who knows how old it is.
Many manufactureres use Radeon chips and model number or price are no
indication of anything it seems.  I could assume that the higher model
number means "next generation" and thus more modern/more capable, but
some lower number cards are much more expensive.  Weird.  Furthermore,
I found the same card listed multiple times with wildly different
prices.  If I were cynical I'd say newegg is trying to confuse the
user, but maybe it's a bug in the database selection algorithms.

I ended up selecting a fanless card (thanks for the suggestion!)
Less noise is good and since I'm not planning on using it for 3D
gaming, I'm glad I don't need that kind of performance.

I'll report back when I get it.

Thanks again.

Augustine