[mythtv-users] Video card recommendation sought.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 28 04:01:39 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'm considering moving mythtv from the liva X to an i3 machine, but it
doesn't have HDMI for the tv so I need a video card for the PCI Express
x 16 (Rev 3).  I understand that Radeon cards are well supported but
what is a good enough card that would take advantage of the capabilities
of the computer for as little money as possible? (in the US).

The processor is a quad-core at 3.4 Mhz, I'm going to max out the RAM at
16GB (8GB x 2) and I'm using a WinTV Dual HD usb tuner exclusively for
OTA.

I'll install Debian stable.

I've found various brands with Radeon chipsets that seem ok, but only
one specifies PCIe x 16 Rev 3:

The Biostar Radeon RX550 4GB GDDR5 128 bit DirectX 12 PCI Express 3.0 x
16.

It is also the most expensive at $99.88.  I looked at $100 and under.
Others say PCIe 2.0 or 2.1, others don't specify it at all.

Any advice as to what cards work well with Myth, Debian/KDE and would be
a good match for this computer?  The TV (A samsung) does 1080p at 60 Hz.

The liva X can't quite keep up with 1080p x 50 fps videos.  It handles
both the BE and a FE.  Other FEs connect to it.  It has also become
quite sluggish recently, which could probably be improved with a DB
optimization, but I'd rather upgrade to v30 and a newer Debian.  I had
to patch the Debian 9 kernel to support the 2 tuners.

I presume this i3 computer is fast enough to run Myth and anything else
I might want to run, so it would be the one and only computer running.
Right now I'm running 3.

Any suggestions welcome.  Thanks.

Augustine