[mythtv-users] Mythtv automatic database backup

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Mon Nov 25 02:55:08 UTC 2019

On 11/24/2019 2:36 PM, Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 24/11/2019 18:47, Don Brett wrote:

>>> The packaged versions of mythtv e.g. on Ubuntu should automatically
>>> do a backup weekly, keeping the last 5 backups.
>>>
>>> Note there is a bug in mythtv 30 in that the backup fails.
>>>
>>> This has been fixed in mythtv master (31pre).
>>>
>>> If you want a weekly backup, replace the contents of file
>>> /etc/cron.weekly/mythtv-database
>>>
>>> with the contents from
>>> https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/blob/master/deb/debian/mythtv-database.cron.weekly
>>>
>>> Personally, I put the corrected mythtv-database file in
>>> /etc/cron.daily/ for a daily backup.
>>>

>>> Mike

>> I added the updated script to /etc/cron.daily.  It runs manually, but
>> not sure how to get cron to run it on demand for a test.  I'm happy
>> to wait until tomorrow to see the results.  By the way, it doesn't
>> look like the script does the rotate feature, it that done somewhere
>> else, or do I need to add something?
>>
>>  Don
>

> The mythtv-database script calls
> /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_backup.pl which has a built-in default
> of 5 for backups to keep.
>
> To test manually, this will force all cron.daily jobs to be run:
>
> sudo run-parts /etc/cron.daily
>
> and check that a new database backup has been created.
>

> Mike
>
> sudo anacron -n -d -f

Hmmm, when running "sudo run-parts /etc/cron.daily", but prompt goes
away for a few seconds and comes right back; nothing new created. Backup
on this box usually takes about 30 + seconds.  I assumed cron's schedule
was satisfied for the day, so wouldn't run it again.

Running anacron also returns pretty quickly (under 5 seconds):

don at johnny:~$ sudo anacron -n -d -f
Anacron 2.3 started on 2019-11-24
Will run job `cron.daily'
Will run job `cron.weekly'
Will run job `cron.monthly'
Jobs will be executed sequentially
Job `cron.daily' started
Job `cron.daily' terminated
Job `cron.weekly' started
Job `cron.weekly' terminated
Job `cron.monthly' started
Job `cron.monthly' terminated
Normal exit (3 jobs run)
don at johnny:~$

I'll let you know if it creates one overnight,

Don