[mythtv-users] Mythtv automatic database backup

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 15:08:50 UTC 2019

On 24/11/2019 14:30, Don Brett wrote:
> Does Mythtv do automatic database backups, or do I need to setup my
> own cron job?  Years ago, I thought it did it by itself.
>
> Don

The packaged versions of mythtv e.g. on Ubuntu should automatically do a
backup weekly, keeping the last 5 backups.

Note there is a bug in mythtv 30 in that the backup fails.

This has been fixed in mythtv master (31pre).

If you want a weekly backup, replace the contents of file
/etc/cron.weekly/mythtv-database

with the contents from
https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/blob/master/deb/debian/mythtv-database.cron.weekly

Personally, I put the corrected mythtv-database file in /etc/cron.daily/
for a daily backup.

Mike