[mythtv-users] Wierd recording problem on HDHR tuners

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Fri Nov 22 12:42:09 UTC 2019

On 11/22/2019 12:36 AM, Kenneth Emerson wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 1:49 PM Jay Foster <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
> <mailto:jayf0ster at roadrunner.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/20/2019 9:52 AM, Kenneth Emerson wrote:
>>     I have 2 HDHR tuners: a quttro and a dual. All programming is
>>     OTA. All recordings are perfect except for 1 channel (NBC).
>>     Watching recordings from this channel breaks up for 1 second or
>>     less whenever there is a large change in the picture like when
>>     the broadcast throws up an ID banner for the news program. It's
>>     as if the stream is missing a type 'A' frame so it pixelates
>>     until it gets the next A frame.
>>
>>     So I have experimented as follows:
>>     Check signal with HDHR app: 100% for all three measurements
>>     use all the tuners (total of 6) -- all have the problem
>>     Connect a different antenna: same problem
>>     Disable commercial flagging: same problem
>>     Connect antenna to TV (live-no mythtv): perfect picture
>>     Use smart TV's software to connect directly to HDHR: perfect picture
>>
>>     This tells me something is happening while reading/writing the
>>     stream by the backend. I'm running v30 on Ubuntu 16.4. None of
>>     the other channels exhibit this behavior. The problem is
>>     definitely in the recording and not the playback.
>>
>>     The recordings aren't unwatchable, just (very) annoying. I don't
>>     know what else to try besides reinstalling everything including
>>     upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04. Does anyone have any ideas less drastic?
>>
>>     -- Ken Emerson

>     It might not be the recording, but the playback.  Many NBC
>     stations changed their MPEG2 encoding parameters a while back
>     which results in a data stream that the Nvidia VDPAU
>     driver/hardware does not handle well.  If you are using VDPAU for
>     playback, you might try switching to OpenGL or software decoding
>     as a test to see if that makes a difference.  You could also try
>     viewing the channel with vlc from the hdhomerun_gui application.
>     Jay
>

> Jay, David & Jim:
>
> I want to thank you so much for your input.  You were spot on with the
> playback issue.  I switched from VDPAU High Quality to OpenGL High
> quality and the problem vanished. Everyone (including the wife) is
> happy again.  I've been a fan of MythTV since February of 2006 and
> even with the advent of streaming, my wife and I find the majority of
> what we watch is OTA on Myth.  It's been a long time since I had to
> ask for help; very glad it's still available.  If y'all in the States,
> have a great Thanksgiving.
>
> BTW: Is there a reason why I shouldn't just continue with the OpenGL
> playback profile?
>
> Regards.
>
> Ken Emerson

Similar thing happened to me on an earlier version of MythTv, running on
Ubuntu 16.04.  I've stayed with OpenGL ever since.

Don

Re: HD Hiomerun works better in HDHomeRun viewer than MythTV
https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/622959?search_string=HD%20Hiomerun%20works%20better%20in%20HDHomeRun%20viewer%20than%20MythTV;#622959