[mythtv-users] HDHR cuts out mid recording

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Nov 18 00:34:11 UTC 2019

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 15:00:57 -0500, you wrote:

>Greetings Mythizens, I used to use internal cards primarilly, now I have
>three cards and two HDHRs. Today recording all the football available and
>alternating between network and internal tuners, the game I'm most
>interested in stops recording 11:25 minutes in, usually I wait 45 minutes
>after start then watch in progress. I stopped and restarted the recording
>and it stopped again, after 16:13. Does watching a recording in progress
>respond differently on HDHRs? Does the log give any clue as to what to do
>to correct this?
>http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/hgPkBy9FfW/
>YIA  Daryl

The MythTV software handles HDHRs the same as any other tuner for
recording or live TV.  The only thing that is different is the actual
driver code that interfaces to the tuner via the network.  After that,
the code used is the same.

How old are the HDHRs?  The usual problem with them is that their
power supplies fail with age and need to be replaced.  There are many
possible symptoms from that sort of problem, so the easiest way to
know if that is the problem is simply to have a spare power supply and
swap it for the suspect one.  It is best to get a higher quality power
supply for a replacement as the ones you get from the manufacturer
will themselves fail in time also.  There should be a panel on the
power supply (on the bottom?) that gives the voltage and current
ratings and tells you the polarity of the plug.  Any replacement
should be the same voltage and polarity and the same or slightly
higher current rating.  If you hunt around in your discarded
electronics bin, you may find you will already have a power supply
that will do the job.  Some replacement power supplies come with
switchable voltages and a set of different plugs with swappable
polarity.  Having a power supply like that allows you to swap it into
a large range of different devices at need, so I try to always have
one of that variety available as a temporary spare.