[mythtv-users] FireStick4K and Android FE Experience and things left to figure out

Scott Smith pickle136 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 5 02:49:30 UTC 2019

I have to say first the Fire Stick 4K has been the frontend hardware ive been waiting for. Cheap and handles all my 1080p content.I was able to get most things working well but theres a couple details left. Im using latest v31 of the android frontend.
My backend uses a cablecard through and HD homerun.

Is there a way to auto load myth from suspend? If the power button is pressed so the tv is off, when the power button is pressed again it always comes back to the amazon home screen. I figured out how to autoload from a hard reset, but not a soft.
Is there a way to key in a channel number with an osd? Navigation with the up/down keys can take some time.I wish the hdmi CEC between the stick and the tv would have supported more than the arrows and ok buttons.

Other notes/observations:the android media decoder seems to perform better but didnt support ASTC or CC yet. That was a deal breaker with wife, so sticking with standard.
Swap to previous channels can some times result in a very skippy playback. Backing out and back in can fix it. More of an annoyance.
PIP is very slow (I can excuse this on based on HW) Swapping windows crashes the FE.
Thanks to anyone that can helpScott