[mythtv-users] leanfront-mythtv experimental Android TV application

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 18:11:17 UTC 2019

> On Nov 1, 2019, at 12:55 PM, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 11/1/19 10:20 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> On 01/11/2019 11:12, James Abernathy wrote:
>>> I've been playing with the newest version of leanfront  for the Shield TV which I found at:
>>>
>>> https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/generic/
>>>
>>> I have notice 2 versions.  The original version posted in August was under the  mythtv_leanfront/android directory as leanfront-v0-14....
>>>
>>> The newest I find is under the directory android/ as leanfront-v0-31-...
>>>
>>> The v0-31 version now has more settings for skip and rewind. I had it working well until I did something, not sure what. But I seem to have left it in a confused state.  I can sort of recover with a forced stop.
>>>
>>> I wondering if the key sequence I use to do the skip could be a cause. I press the up arrow to bring up the overlay menu and move the highlight to the >> option. Pressing the select skips forward 60 sec for each press. Moving to highlight the << option, then each press of select rewinds 20 seconds. The overlay menu goes away in a few seconds.
>>>
>>> ideas?
>>>
>>> Not sure where feedback/discussion of leanfront is collected or if it's too premature for that.
>>>
>>> Jim A
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer to this.  I had found only the older v0-14, and assumed that Peter was doing more of his own testing before making a new post.
>>
>> v0-31 is now on my FireTVstick 4k and first impressions are good. Its backend (Fedora 30, render2019 branch) has 452 recordings and selection worked out-of-the-box; but skipping seems broken for me too.  The >> is highlighted but does nothing, while << goes back to the beginning. h264 playback is excellent.
>>
>> More experiments later.
>>
>> John P
>>

> I messed up the directory naming convention, i will fix that - it should be mythtv_leanfront/android/
>
> I added settings for skip forward and back amounts, defaulting to 60 secs forward and 20 secs back. The settings part of the application is currently rather rudimentary and does not check for numeric input. Perhaps that may be causing the problem? Check that they have nonblank numeric values.
>
> I have watched complete recordings for several evenings, doing forward and back skips without any issue.
>
> Is it possibly getting the >> and << confused with the -> and <- which are supposed skip to the previous or next episode? I don't know if the -> and <- are useful or how well they work, but they came with the sample application and I did not remove them.
>
> I plan to make the forward and back arrows automatically skip forward and back without needing to go through the menu.
>
> Since there is interest, I will post new versions from time to time. If the problem persists maybe I will need a copy of a video it is failing on.
>
> Peter

Since I reported my issues with leanfront, I have successfully view some episodes of a program without issues.  I left the leanfront alone and watched some mythtv backend programs using Android Mythtv frontend and then went back to leanfront.  I guess it realized pitching a tantrum was not productive and it decided to cooperate.  :-)

If you could make the the direction arrows work in leanfront like they do in mythfrontend, that could be great. I’d also find a delete option useful for when you are done with a program.

If it’s possible to add date information to the thumbnails of the episodes that would be helpful as well.

The playback is very very good with leanfront.

Jim A