[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 1609 and Pixelation Tests

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Thu May 30 04:45:52 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 8:02 PM James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On 29 May 2019, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Folks!
> >>
> >> A while back I posted a question asking if the Hauppauge 1609 might
> help solve pixelation issues I have been having (re-)using my old Hauppauge
> 1600 and 2250 tuners. My theory was newer television tuners seem to be
> better at recovering from signal drops so since the 1609 was new maybe it
> would be better also. The 1600 and 2250 tuners give satisfactory results
> except when it is windy outside; I also have to have the antenna in the
> storage area (attic) else one piddled-off S.O.!
> >>
> >> The good news is preliminary tests indicated the Hauppauge 1609 tuner
> works! It is somewhat windy today and the initial testing displayed a rare
> minor pixelation with the two weakest stations whereas with the other
> tuners the signal would have probably been highly distorted and possibly
> unwatchable. What I need is a good storm to really test ? we?ll get one! I
> can also increase the signal strength by approximately 7 dB by removing a
> 4-way splitter that was feeding a pair of 1600 tuners and a 2250 tuner in
> the old Backend.
> >

> > Regarding antenna placement, signal strength, splitting, pre-amp and
> amplification, the OTA forums on digitalhome.ca are an excellent resource.
> >
> > There are some very knowledgeable people frequenting those forums.
>

> There seems to be no logic
>
> I’ve an external yagi, powered signal spliier, am 25Km from transmitter.
>
> I’ve used with varing degress of pixelation
> Leadtech (usb)
> HD homerun quad (network)
> Haupauge Nova T (usb)
>
> now using the new Haupauge Win TV (usb) and neary a block or stripe. Same
> setup. The worst was unwatchable.
> One would expect small differences between tuners not MAJOR ones. I’m now
> using 2 of these with same results so not a fluke.
> Terry Pratchette: The chance of a million to one event happening is 9 in
> 10.
>
> James

Hi James,

I was hoping you could clarify your findings... Are you saying that the
1609 tuners are working better, or worse than the other tuners?

I am confused because  you say there was neary a block or stripe, but then
you say the worst was unwatchable....

I currently am using the Haup. 2255 tuners, but am thinking of upgrading to
the 1609 if it's really better, which a previous email on the list seemed
to indicate.

Thanks!

George