[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 1609 and Pixelation Tests

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Tue May 28 00:01:04 UTC 2019

Hi Folks!

A while back I posted a question asking if the Hauppauge 1609 might help
solve pixelation issues I have been having (re-)using my old Hauppauge
1600 and 2250 tuners. My theory was newer television tuners seem to be
better at recovering from signal drops so since the 1609 was new maybe
it would be better also. The 1600 and 2250 tuners give satisfactory
results except when it is windy outside; I also have to have the antenna
in the storage area (attic) else one piddled-off S.O.!

The good news is preliminary tests indicated the Hauppauge 1609 tuner
works! It is somewhat windy today and the initial testing displayed a
rare minor pixelation with the two weakest stations whereas with the
other tuners the signal would have probably been highly distorted and
possibly unwatchable. What I need is a good storm to really test – we’ll
get one! I can also increase the signal strength by approximately 7 dB
by removing a 4-way splitter that was feeding a pair of 1600 tuners and
a 2250 tuner in the old Backend.

So, while the 1600 and 2250 tuners are good if one has pixelation
problems replacing with the 1609 might be a worthwhile investment. As
always the better the input signal the better the recording.

Barry