[mythtv-users] BE3 - Issues with installation and database

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Mon May 27 16:04:59 UTC 2019

Hi Bill!

> The middle one is in error. rm/home/barry/.mythtv/config.xml, then as
> user barry (not root) type:
>
>       ln -s /etc/mythtv/config.xml ~/.mythtv/config.xml
>
> It doesn't hurt anything, as long as the data in the file is the
> same (which you proved it wasn't.)
>
> The links just make life easier because there's only one file
> with data and two others pointing to it.

    OK: where I’m starting:

    BE2 (old) Ethernet unplugged (for ‘safety’)

    BE3 (one we’re working on) plugged into the network.

    BE3 has been powered off overnight

    Step 1: rm //home/barry//.mythtv/config.xml

    Step 2: ln -s /etc/mythtv/config.xml ~/.mythtv/config.xml

    Did some testing (I’m trying to learn as I go!) and the link is
    there and works ==> ls lists in light blue, which IIRC means ‘link’
    (I had a chart of the colours some place!).

    At this point config.xml is stating <Host>localhost</Host> and the
    rest looks to be correct also.

    And any changes to the configuration should be made to
    /etc/mythtv/config.xml, and they’re be ‘sent’ to the ones in the
    hidden directories:

    [Master] /etc/mythtv.config.xml (ls displays as white)

    [Link] /home/barry/.mythtv.config.xml (ls displays as light blue)

    [Link] /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml (ls displays as light blue)

    Thanks!

    Barry