[mythtv-users] BE3 - Issues with installation and database

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sat May 25 16:54:45 UTC 2019

On 5/25/19 11:25 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2019 09:55:48 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> On 5/25/19 9:51 AM, Barry Martin wrote:
>>> Backend log:
>>>
>>> barry at NZXT:~$ ls '/media/barry/ADATA UFD/mythtv-setup.20190525143500.4497.log'
>>>
>>> https://pastebin.com/UjQyxjBz
>>>

>>> We're sooooo close!!
>>
>> cat /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
>>
>> I suspect that the value of <Host> is an IP address. For a master backend,
>> it should be localhost.
>
> No, I would disagree with that.  If you want the backend to be
> accessible to an external frontend, you normally want the address in
> config.xml to be the external address of the PC.  It does work if the
> address in backend PC's config.xml files is localhost, but then you
> can not just copy the config.xml file to another PC and have it work
> there when you tell mythfrontend to use it.  I always get caught by
> that if I use localhost in config.xml.  And if the database is
> supposed to be accessible from the PC's external IP address,
> connecting to it that way on the backend PC is a good check that it
> actually is externally accessible.

You're correct if the DB isn't on the same host as the backend. Not usually the
case for a master backend. config.xml only tells the backend or frontend where
to find the DB. A remote frontend (or remote backend) would, of course, need
the hostname/IP of the DB.

There is specific code in MythTV that looks for localhost or 127.0.0.1 and
if <Host> is set to that, a socket will be used rather than TCP. It's not
efficient to use TCP.

I agree that copying a proper master's config.xml to a remote frontend
will fail.

The settings in:

   /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/mythtv.cnf
   [mysqld]
   bind-address=:: # my choice as I connect via IPv6

only govern where the DB server will listen. As you correctly set up for Barry.

Although I never modify anything other than the file above. That way if a
package manager releases a new version /etc/mysql/mariadb.cnf in this case
will get changed. The last 2 lines of that file pull in files in other
directories as long as those filenames end in .cnf.

But, your computer, your choice.

@Barry, as I recall, the Private Network address 192... doesn't have a GRANT,
that's the error message in the logs. Give localhost a try and see if you get
any further.

--
Bill