[mythtv-users] Remote and blaster without LIRC?

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Wed May 22 00:46:56 UTC 2019

On 5/21/2019 4:43 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 20 May 2019 12:24:24 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> Apologies to those that previously answered my remote questions months
>> ago....I got distracted with other stuff and just got back to this.
>>
>> I have a new build with Ubuntu-Mate 18.04 installed, mostly working
>> well.  I followed various instructions to drop LIRC and use ir-keytable
>> instead; took some doing, but the remote is working well now.  But, my
>> previous blaster script depended on LIRC, which is no longer installed.
>>
>> What's the current method of choice for blasters?  Do I need to
>> re-install some part of LIRC, or is there a non-LIRC script to consider?
> I do not know of any blaster support except via LIRC.  It may be
> possible to set up LIRC to just run the blaster and not interfere with
> the ir-keytable setup you now have, but I am not sure how to do that.
> To install LIRC in 18.04, you should use my fix script as the LIRC
> package for 18.04 is badly broken:
>
> http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh
>
> That script will download the LIRC source code and compile it to
> create the missing *.so files, and install them in the right places,
> and will set up LIRC for use as a normal IR remote input.  The Python
> config commands for LIRC will work after that, but you will need to
> change from the default setup to one that uses just the blaster, and I
> am not sure if you can do that from the Python lirc-setup command. You
> may need to manually change the /etc/lirc config files, starting with
> /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf.
>
> In the worst case, you will need to undo your ir-keytable changes and
> use LIRC for the IR input as well as for blasting.  If you have
> ir-keytable working, I am sure it is possible to get it working also
> via LIRC, but the changes you make to do it via ir-keytable are
> usually not compatible with using LIRC.

Hmm, I'll bet I end up doing worst case, which may not be so bad. But
before going there, I want to take a shot at MyBlaster.pl; it's a pretty
old script that was open-sourced years ago.  At first glance, it looks
promising, but who knows.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/myblaster/files/

By the way, he references the USB device as /dev/ttyUSBX, but Ubuntu has
no such critter.  I have /dev/bus/usb/001/002.  When I use it, I get an
ioctl error; suggestions appreciated.

Don

---