[mythtv-users] Issue - MythtvFrontend Nvidia Shield Audio Pass fuzz

Tim clueo8 at yahoo.com
Tue May 21 00:50:56 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 9:33 AM Michael <mythtv at blandford.net> wrote:

>> Michael, John, Tim, James - All of you have talked about audio problems recently with the Nvidia Shield in this or parallel threads.  Investigate the feature below.  It might solve your problem.
>>

>> I've solved my issue with my older receiver not locking on to the correct audio codec when starting a new recording and sometime after a commercial skip in the middle of a recording.  In these instances I get no audio other people have report similar odd behavior.  A pause/play or a skip fixes the issue but its very annoying.   After turning off the following Nvidia Shield Setting (not in Mythtv) everything is working correctly.   Note that the very first time using MythTV after the change I got odd behavior.  You might need to restart MythTV or even the Nvidia Shield.
>>

>> settings -> Display and Sound -> Advanced -> Play comfort noise on HDMI -> OFF
>>

>>> Use this option to en/dis playback of inaudible comfort noise on HDMI when no audio is present
>>>

>> Not really sure what the setting does but turning it off fixed my issue.  There must be something non-standard with the way MythTV integrates with Nvidia Shield audio that causes issues.  No other apps I've used have had issues.
>>

>> Hope this helps others,
>> Jon

The audio fuzz noise appears to have come back for me with vengeance!  I didn't touch any settings on either mythtv or shield of my stereo... The fuzz is there all the time if I enable 5.1 audio, a pause/unpause or restart recording doesn't even help.  It's fine with just Stereo set in myth but obviously I want 5.1 to work.  I have the comfort noise turned off in the shield audio settings and also set 5.1 to Always per the wiki.  My shield is at 7.2.3 (30.6.131.70). My shield may have auto updated over the past week, it appears I did have auto-update enabled...  I tried grabbing the latest apk from the mythtv site for the frontend but that didn't help after install, it appears to have added a new audio option called AudioTrack, but that crashes my frontend when attempting to watch anything or the audio kicks in and out and voices don't match the audio.  Anyone else having this new issue with this shield version?