[mythtv-users] A test for anyone using vdpau on 32-bit x86, especially with 30.0

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun May 19 15:34:22 UTC 2019

I'm trying to narrow down some vdpau decode issues with some (but not
all) h264 videos as discussed here:

https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/625246

I could use a favor in the form of a quick test from anyone here is
using vdpau on 32 bit x86...especially anyone running version 30.0. If
you could try playing this clip:

http://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-60-mbps-hd-h264.mkv

...and see if it falls back to software decoding or if it uses vdpau.
For example from the playback menu Playback -> Playback Data, and see
if it shows "H264 vdpau" or "H264 ffmpeg". That would be a huge help.

The failure of the vdpau decode for me seems to be related to the
change in 30.0 to replace the ffmpeg avcodec_decode_video2 call with 2
calls...one of which (avcodec_send_packet) is returning an
AVERROR_INVALIDDATA error causing the fallback to software. I'm only
guessing that it might be a 32 bit specific issue, because Peter (see
the related bug) couldn't reproduce the failures.

The videos where I have issues decode and play fine with xine using
vdpau, and I just verified that the version of xine-libs I'm using is
still using the old avcodec_decode_video2 as was MythTV 29.1.

Thanks in advance!
Tom