[mythtv-users] BE3 - Issues with installation and database

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Tue May 14 16:11:19 UTC 2019

Hi Stephen!

Firstly, *thank you*! Secondly, ran into some problems. Comments in-line
with your instructions so you can see (or at least try to figure out
<g>) my thought processes and what I did. Your instructions are
outdented, mine (“BJM”) are indented and in a rectangle, or at least at
this point they are – the original is written using LibreOffice and
copied to be posted to the Forum.

To bring up a new MythTV system on Ubuntu 18.04, I recommend not using
MySQL but switching the database to MariaDB before installing the MythTV
packages. MySQL now has several problems that you need to overcome
before it will work properly with MythTV, but I think MariaDB, as
installed from the packages, is more compatible. So what you do is first
choose which variant of Ubuntu you want to install. Xubuntu is the
closest to what Mythbuntu used to be, so I would suggest using that as
the base system, but ordinary Ubuntu and Lubuntu also work. Install
that, then before you do anything else (including running apt update and
apt upgrade) install the MariaDB client and server packages. That will
uninstall the MySQL packages, and install MariaDB as a direct and fully
compatible replacement. If you already have MythTV installed, due to the
dependencies of the MythTV packages, they will be uninstalled also.

    BJM Notes:

    Already have Ubuntu 18.04 installed; have done several updates/upgrades.

    Per Terminal with mariadb ==> not installed, use:

    sudo apt install mariadb-client-core-10.1 <== core only, so

    sudo apt install mariadb-server (per Googling)

    Install of mariadb indicated mysql old data to /var/lib/mysql.*

    no such file found

    Did find various mysql files – should these be manually removed?

Now do "apt update" and "apt upgrade" to update all the packages to the
latest versions.
Then install the MythTV-fixes repository, and install the latest MythTV
v30 packages from there.

    “install the MythTV-fixes repository” ==>

    ??sudo add-apt-respository ppa:mythbuntu/30

    Appears to be

    Checking this noted a potential problem:

    Installation of MythTV with *sudo apt-get install mythtv*

    https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu ==>

    Install Software section:

    The packages do the following:

      *

        Install mythtv software and all prerequisites.

      *

        Install MySQL database software. <===

      *

        Create a MySQL database user for MythTV

    Yup: says installed MySQL.

Now set the root password:

*sudo passwd *

    (my standard)

This is necessary to allow root access to the mysql command. Pick a good
password and do not forget it.

- - - Skipped this section
At this point, if you want to be using LIRC for your remote control,
download my fix for its broken package from my web server and run it:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh  <http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh>

That will install the LIRC package and run all the fixes needed to make
it work and able to be configured using its new Python config programs.
- - - end skipped section

Now look at the */etc/mythtv/config.xml* file. Change the password there
if you want to, and then set the same password in MariaDB:

*sudo su*
*mysql*

    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through
    socket ‘var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2 “No such file or directory”)

*grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by "<password>";*

(BJM) I stopped at this point as received the response indicating
‘command grant not found’. At that point was in a ‘deeper’ Terminal
command level – root at Backend-3 vs. barry- at Backend-3. At the
‘barry at Backend-3 <mailto:barry at Backend-3>’ prompt checked ‘grant –help’:
not found. Guessing ‘grant’ is a MySQL command but not loading because
of the socket error.

LIS, checked a couple things then stopped at this point to ask for help.
BTW, the /etc/mythtv/config.xml file contained the same random password
as (my) yesterday. Thought that a hare odd as when uninstalled MySQL
previously (before asking for help) the new install of MythTV changed
the original password (of install #1). Just in case that bit of trivia
is significant.

Thanks for the assistance!

Barry