[mythtv-users] DVD/Blu-Ray set-up

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Mon May 13 12:23:33 UTC 2019

On Mon, May 13, 2019, 8:03 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Mon, 13 May 2019 06:36:38 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >On Mon, May 13, 2019, 02:40 Swanseasurfing <swanseasurfing at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Daryl,
> >>
> >> Maybe this way could be a quick workaround for you:
> >> 1.  Export recordings.
> >> 2. Use a Desktop Computer to burn the files to DVD.
> >>
> >> But this does not provide a solution for the problem.
> >>
> >> Kind Regards
> >>   Jens
> >>
> >I tried that but the files are not in the proper form to burn, I still
> need
> >some myth magic. Thanks.
>
> A lot of DVD / BluRay players these days will play files from a data
> DVD.  The MythTV recording files are MPEG2 Transport Stream files,
> which is a little different from the MPEG2 Program Stream files that
> DVDs use, but it may well be that your player can handle them.  So try
> burning the recording files to a data DVD, and if necessary change the
> extension from .ts to .mpg if the player does not see the files as
> valid.  There is heaps of freeware that will burn data DVDs.
>
> If that does not work because your player is too old, then you will
> need to find some DVD mastering software that is capable of converting
> the MPEG2 Transport Stream files as part of its mastering process.
> There should be some freeware out there that can do that, but off the
> top of my head I can not point you at any, as I have paid software to
> do that (Nero, for example).
>
> It is also possible to use freeware like ffmpeg (on Linux or Windows)
> to convert the MythTV recordings to what DVD mastering software needs,
> but that gets complicated, so try the easy ways first.

In the past I have opened optical disks and created an autoplay disk from a
recording nor video in Myth (preferred option). Recently I installed
Brassario, opened it selected the video file, but it would not burn,
changing the .avi to .mpg didn't help either. IIRC Bill helped me sort out
ROM drive allocation. Myth is looking for /dev/dvd and my drive presents as
/dev/sr0 when viewed in "disks".