[mythtv-users] Getting GUI Error message, when opening the MythTV Browser page.

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri May 10 02:38:22 UTC 2019

On Thu, 9 May 2019 21:33:14 +0100, you wrote:

>On 09/05/2019 17:18, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 May 2019 17:05:59 +0200, you wrote:
>>
>>> I can log in to the DB using the mythtv User, but not able as root. I dont
>>> have the password and also getting the below Error.
>>>
>>> miro at mythbox:/etc/mythtv$ sudo mysql -u root mythconverg
>>> ERROR 1524 (HY000): Plugin 'mysqlnativepassword' is not loaded
>>> miro at mythbox:/etc/mythtv$ sudo mysql -u root
>>> ERROR 1524 (HY000): Plugin 'mysqlnativepassword' is not loaded
>>> miro at mythbox:/etc/mythtv$
>>
>> I have never met that problem before, but try it looks like it is
>> trying to get the root password from the operating system and does not
>> have the plugin to do that.  So try with -p and it should ask for the
>> root password:
>>
>> sudo mysql -u root -p mythconverg
>>
>> And if that does not work try just:
>>
>> sudo mysql
>>
>> If that fails, there used to be an obscure bug with caching of
>> passwords, the easiest fix for which is to restart MySQL (or reboot):
>>
>> sudo systemctl restart mysql
>>
>> If you do not have a root password set, use this command to set it:
>>
>> sudo passwd
>>
>Actually, it is complaining about the *mysql* password. To access mysql, any user should be able to
>do that. sudo is not required here.
>
>I would assume that the root password for mysql/mariadb was requested during the installation
>procedure. Whenever I have built a clean Debian system with mysql, that is one of the steps that
>happens along the way.

Yes, setting the MySQL user and password for the mythconverg database
should happen on MythTV install in a clean setup.  That does not work
though, if you then restore from an old system and copy across the old
config.xml which will have a different password.  Since you can not
normally set MySQL passwords using the MythTV credentials, and MySQL
on a clean system has no other login credentials, you then need to use
the root password (the system root password, not the MySQL one) to
access MySQL to do the GRANT commands needed.

And if you have not set the (system) root password, you probably need
to do that before you can use root to run the mysql command.  Since I
always set the root password as soon as I boot into a clean system, I
have never tried to run mysql from root without a root password set.