[mythtv-users] Firewire 6200ch can't set port

DryHeat122 . dryheat122 at gmail.com
Wed May 8 17:33:45 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 6:55 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Wed, 8 May 2019 06:05:46 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 5:32 PM DryHeat122 . <dryheat122 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Turns out it's 06:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23
> >> IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
> >>

> >Well that's at least partially good new that you can rule out a chipset
> >incompatibility.
> >
> >BTW, I fixed my permissions issues in the past by creating a udev rule
> like
> >the one suggested on the mythtv wiki:
> >https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/FireWire#.2Fdev.2Fraw1394_permissions
> >
> >The rule I used successfully added all firewire devices to the video group
> >and changed permissions to 0664.  I then added mythtv and any other
> >appropriate users to the video group:
> >SUBSYSTEM=="firewire", MODE="0664", GROUP="video"
> >
> >I doubt this is going to fix your current issues, but it'll at least help
> >you not have to run sudo all the time.
>
> In Ubuntu, the mythtv-backend package installs a file that is supposed
> to provide it with access to firewire devices:
>
> root at mypvr:/lib/udev# cat rules.d/41-mythtv-permissions.rules
> #For firewire capture devices, we need access rights
> #to raw1394.  Note, that this may be a security risk
> #because devices on firewire can then do anything they
> #please as root on your system.
> KERNEL=="raw1394", GROUP="mythtv"

So here is what I know. (1) other people who use my same cable provider and
STB (i.e. Bob mythtv at cox.net) have gotten this to work.  (2) the Myth
machine can access the STB via firewire because plugreport identifies it.
(3) In verbose mode, 6200ch identifies a vendor id 0x00848dc7 and model
id 0x00001286, though the vendor id is different from what the STB
diagnostics give and I don't understand how this could be.  (4) I have
added these vendor/model ids to the define constants in 6200ch:

#define MOT_UNKNOWN_VENDOR_ID22 0x00848dc7
#define MOT_UNKNOWN_MODEL_ID01 0x00001286

(5) When I compile and run 6200ch it says it can't find the box.

I'm thinking at this point the problem is edits I've made to 6200ch.  The
error in (5) is thrown on line 636 of 6200ch when the device variable is
set to -1.  device is initialized to -1 on line 351.  It is set to other
than this value on line 631 after an if block with a long list of
conditions trying to match dir.vendor_id and dir.model_id to the
constants.  So maybe the condition I've added to the if block is not
correct.  I can't see any other reason it wouldn't set the device.  Here is
the condition I've added:

((dir.vendor_id == MOT_UNKNOWN_VENDOR_ID22) && (dir.model_id ==
MOT_UNKNOWN_MODEL_ID01)) ||

I can't see any reason why this doesn't match, can anyone else?

The only other thing I can see that might be wrong is that before the if
block on 539 there is a comment:  // WARNING: Please update
firewiredevice.cpp when adding to this list.  Could that be the answer?
That is not part of the include statements in 6200ch so I don't know if
they interact.