[mythtv-users] anacron

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon May 6 02:37:15 UTC 2019

On Sun, 5 May 2019 15:51:47 -0500, you wrote:

>On 5/5/19 3:31 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>> so the email will come after 19:30 when anacron runs? everyday?
>
>See: man anacron, but the short answer is: If a job generates any output on
>its standard output or standard  error

And the optimize_mythdb job does generate output, so you can always
expect to get an email.

Depending on the size of your database, it can take a few minutes to
run, so you should not expect the email until after that.  My
cron.daily starts at 09:30, and today's email was sent at 10:12, but I
do daily database backups as well as optimize_mythdb, and my database
is massive (the backup file is 2.3 Gbytes).

If you do not get the email at the usual time each day, you need to
investigate.  A few days ago, that happened to me and I found that my
root partition was full and optimize_mythdb had stalled waiting for
more disk to use to optimise my recordedseek table.  I killed anacron
(which stops all the jobs it was running), deleted my mythfrontend
cache files (15 Gibytes!), repaired my database and rebooted and all
was well again.  I did have to run "mythcommflag --rebuild" on some
recordings that happened while recordedseek was crashed.  Fortunately,
there was enough space in the other database tables for the entries
for those recordings, so I did not lose any.  Mythbackend is very good
about keeping on going even when it is seeing database errors.