[mythtv-users] Channel Scan Issue

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Thu Mar 28 22:24:27 UTC 2019

On 3/28/2019 2:24 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:

> OK, then on 3/13/2020 Virtual channel 2 moves from real channel 44 to 31.
> Can I just go into MythWeb and change TB Channelinfo freqid for the
> four sub channum's associated with channel 2 from 44 to a 31? Or do I
> need to do a rescan on all the tuners?
>
> Rescanning is a huge pain because the scan picks up the wrong station
> for one of the channels and it is a pain to fake it out. I can't even
> remember what I did.
>
> I will also have another repack on 5/1/2020 for channels 7 and 11 so
> whatever I need to do, I will need to do twice.
>
> Allen

I do not know if that will work (I do not know how freqid is related to
the transport).  What I did do successfully for several station
relocations is the following:
Using the mythtvbackend-setup application, choose menu item 6.
For each input/tuner, I first selected each existing channel on the
transport that was moving and deleted it (press d).  This is so when the
same channels are added by scanning the new transport, they are not
duplicates.
For each input/tuner, you may need to edit the transports (last item in
the menu I think) and arrow down a couple of times to add new
transport.  For the transport frequency, enter the *center* frequency
for the new physical channel (31 in your example).  You will need to
lookup the channel frequencies for your region (you did not specify).
Google/wikipedia is a good source for this (TV channel frequencies).
For each input/tuner, select scan from the menu, and choose scan
existing transport.  For the transport, you should now be able to select
the new channel (31) and scan.

This procedure worked fine, except the last channel I needed to
relocate.  For some reason, MythTV continued to attempt to tune the old
transport (physical channel) which does not work.  I ended up deleting
everything and starting over, which I agree is a major pain.  I would
end up with some conflicting channels, which the only way forward was to
choose to ignore all of them.  Then I manually added the ones that I
wanted using the process above.

Jay