[mythtv-users] Channel Scan Issue

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 15:55:45 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 8:13 AM Jay Foster <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> On 3/27/2019 6:19 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 13:55:08 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> >> Due to the 600 MHz spectrum repack, some of my channels have moved.  I
> >> rescanned the affected channels with no issues (good signal lock, etc.).
> >>   However, one station will not lock in live TV (for testing purposes).
> >> The other stations work correctly.  In live TV, it gets around 12 to 30%
> >> signal, which is nuts.  It is about 97% when I do the channel scan.  Any
> >> ideas what's going wrong?
> >>
> >> MythTV 0.28
> > The repack is all about putting multiple channels on to the unused
> > bandwidth of other channels.  Does the problem channel have any other
> > channels on the same frequency?  Do they work?
> >
> No.  After some experimenting and rescanning, I came to the conclusion
> that despite me having deleted the old channels and rescanning them on
> the new transport, MythTV was still trying to tune them using the old
> transport (physical channel).  Seems that deleting channels does not
> completely delete them, or at least for this one station it did not.  I
> also discovered problems where I changed the '_' channel separator back
> to the (proper) '.' character, only to find that the changes do not
> stick for one (different) station.
>
> I ended up deleting all channels on each of my inputs and then doing a
> whole scan on each input.  I then had to change all of the '_' channel
> separators to '.' (using mythweb) in order to get live TV to work
> (otherwise I would get a black screen).
>
> I still need to add back in all of the channel icon files.  Doing this
> from the mythbackend-setup utility is tedious and takes most of a day.
> Is there a script I can use to automate this?  I have about 280 channels
> over six inputs to enter the icon filenames.

I am curious why I have not had a problem with the repack.  I have assumed
that Schedules Direct just dealt with it.  I noticed the other day that my
TV cannot tune to some channels but Myth is fine.  I have not rescanned my
TV as we almost never watch live TV on the TV itself. I am concerned I am
not understanding and maybe the fact that I set up Myth after the repack as
this is a relatively new install of Myth. I know there is another repack
coming so will I need to do something with Myth at that time?

Allen