[mythtv-users] Change v30.0-25-gbceea69806 makes playback visibly jumpy (March 10th)

jksjdevelop jksjdevelop at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 19:32:18 UTC 2019

On 26/03/2019 14:37, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 3/25/19 3:33 PM, jksjdevelop wrote:
>> The Medea is 1080i 25Hz UK DVB-S2
>>
>> The platform is Ubuntu 18.10 64 bit Nvidia GeForce GT 1030/PCIe/SSE2
>> Driver Version: 390.116
>>
>> Change AVSync2: Use frame timestamps to determine elapsed play time -
>> causes frames to be discarded.
>>
>> With verbose logging on playback.
>>
>> At the previous commit, the picture is rock solid with an even
>> scrolling news ticker, despite some frames being discarded
>>
>> MythTV Version : v30.0-24-g90468ec49a
>> MythTV Branch : (HEAD detached at 90468ec49a)

> There are several commits around that time
> (most recent is listed first)
> * 60cfb7c05a 2019/03/10 Peter Bennett : Fix compile error from
> bceea69806d
> * 76ea9755b6 2019/03/10 Peter Bennett : Playback: Fix jerkiness with
> codec-deinterlaced content
> * 13f5fd8307 2019/03/10 Peter Bennett : Playback: Improve "Music
> Choice" detection
> * bceea69806 2019/03/10 Peter Bennett : AVSync2: Use frame timestamps
> to determine elapsed play time
> * 90468ec49a 2019/03/10 Peter Bennett : Playback: AvSync2 fix fast
> forward/rewind
>
> bceea69806 did introduce jerkiness and that was fixed the same day in
> a later commit 76ea9755b6.
> Also the compile error was fixed in 60cfb7c05a.
>
> Please try a version after 60cfb7c05a
>
> Peter

Thanks for the response.

I have retested against the version pre change v30.0-28-g60cfb7c05a and
the latest v30.0-38-g3af3cad3d7.

The early version works fine but the latest is jittery using Avsync2
VDPAU High Quality. I record from both satellite and terrestrial which
have different bit rates. The best quality picture across the two types
is now produced by  Avsync2 OpenGL High Quality.

MythTV Version : v30.0-28-g60cfb7c05a
Playback silky smooth as shown by a news ticker using VDPAU High Quality
for both Avsync 1 and Avsync2
572 instances per minute of Frame X is in use by avlib and so is being
held for later discarding

MythTV Version :v30.0-38-g3af3cad3d7
Playback jerky using Avsync2 VDPAU High Quality
584 instances per minute of Frame X is in use by avlib and so is being
held for later discarding
So presume the above message is not significant.

Playback smooth using Avsync1 VDPAU High Quality
160 instances per minute of Frame X is in use by avlib and so is being
held for later discarding

Playback smooth using Avsync2 OpenGL High Quality
No error messages

Playback smooth using Avsync1 OpenGL High Quality
No error messages

I will clear my git local store and do a full rebuild tomorrow just to
check.