[mythtv-users] 3TB...poof

Ben bkamen at benjammin.net
Mon Mar 18 17:59:59 UTC 2019

I can echo the same sentiment.

I keep my drives cool to warm -- and I've known installs with low flow that have roasted drives to failure.

A great example was this HP mini-tower that held 4 drives in a very RAID-oriented design. Only 1 fan at the back of the chassis.

The drives got baked and failed within a year.

I took a look at the system for the person and taped over all the ventilation holes on the system to better direct the air-flow over the drives.

The drives operating temps went from 52-55'C down to the low-to-30'C range.

So far that system has been happy as can be.

For my own Linux server system that runs Myth, I have PWM controlled fans through a crystalfontz LCD display that also lets' me control the fan speeds through software in which I can scan in drive temps.

So I strive to keep my drive temps under 35'C. The system slows it's fans down in winter to avoid over cooling. (The whole box is really quiet in the winter. It's kinda funny)

Avoid thermal shocks. Keep the drives under 40'C... They've lasted me for 5+yrs running 24/7/365.

Consider running Munin as well and link in the drive temps there to monitor them...

  -Ben