[mythtv-users] 3TB...poof

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Mar 18 15:51:30 UTC 2019

Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:

> A 2.5" drive will fit inside most enclosures, and it will be more
> reliable than an external drive.

Unfortunately, as has already been mentioned in the thread, Apple don't really make expandable machines - even the most high end have limited expansion capability.
On the upside, except for the newest models (which have thunderbolt ports), they do have Firewire which I've found to be very reliable - although Firewire capable enclosures can be quite pricey (even used !). I've managed to build up a sufficient collection of external drive cases/docks for my needs - the LaCie Quadro ones are good and have a metal case for heat dissipation. I also note that the LaCie ones are designed to have a small (40mm ?) fan but they aren't fitted in any of mine.

Many years ago (back in the days of real SCSI) I wanted to add a few drives (including a small tape drive) to a Mac and found the price of enclosures "a bit daunting". Instead I bought a cheap generic PC case and used that.