[mythtv-users] Sudden issue with HDHomeRun on network switch?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 17:31:03 UTC 2019

On 3/15/19, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi Tom,
>
> Friday, March 15, 2019, 3:11:48 PM, you wrote:
>
>> On 3/15/19, Ian Cameron <mkbloke at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It's rather puzzling, for sure.
>>>
>>> Does the switch have an external PSU?  Could you perhaps try (if you
>>> have
>>> one or can borrow one from somebody) another universal PSU set to the
>>> correct voltage/pin polarity/DC connector that has an equivalent or
>>> greater
>>> output power rating (DC amps/wattage)?
>>>
>>> It sounds like the only thing you have not tried so far, as far as I can
>>> remember reading in this thread.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Ian
>>>

>> Thanks everyone for the replies by the way!
>
>> Yea it really is. Everything, especially the fact that it works
>> connected to the router, seems to point to an issue either with the
>> switch or it's power supply. I'd have to chase down a PSU (I might
>> even have a universal one hanging around) to test the latter.
>
>> What's odd however is that only the HDHRs seem to be sensitive to, or
>> affected by the switch. Other devices work perfectly on it. Stranger
>> yet is that my slightly older HDHR is still connected to it and has no
>> problem at all, and yet even the new HDHR had problems....sort of
>> random at that point.
>
>> Both of my existing units have the original firmware from 2016. I've
>> never done anything to them. In fact that one that's working on the
>> switch has 20160411 while the only that doesn't play nice with it has
>> 20161117. I may try updating the problem one to the current firmware
>> and see what that does.
>
>> Thanks!
>> Tom
>
> Do perhaps the laptop etc that work, connect at 100 Mb and do the
> failing homeruns try 1 Gb. Mine has a 1 Gb port
>

> Tot mails,
>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

It's a GB switch for sure. As far as I know the laptop is connecting
at 1GB, though I'm not going to waste a second of my life trying to
figure out where MS hid that in Windows 10 (ONLY use it for
work...hate it).

On a side note, I upgraded the HDHR that has the issue with that
switch to the newest firmware, and it still only maintains a link when
connected to the router, but not the switch. I really think there's
something up with that switch (or it's power).

Tom