[mythtv-users] Editing recordings/skipping commercials (was Re: mythfrontend on Nvidia Shield)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 15 16:28:55 UTC 2019

On 03/15/2019 12:37 AM, George Bingham wrote:
> To edit a pre-recorded show, hit the "E" key, which bring you into
> edit mode, and the left arrow / right arrow will move you to the next
> / previous skip point, using the up and down arrow, you can switch
> between going back or forward in time several seconds or just a few, a
> few quick taps and you can locate the point where a commercial really
> does begin, and move the skip point to that point. On screen
> instructions make it clear what you are doing and once you get the
> hang of it it is very straightforward and quick. Once you have
> corrected the beginning and end of each commercial skip, the Escape
> key brings up a menu to save and continue.

There's some good information on editing recordings at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Editing_Recordings , including sections on
"Advanced Editing" and "Editing without the MENU key"--both of which
contain many tips for how to make editing much easier (especially if
you're using a remote and not a keyboard).

> I got into the habit of reviewing each pre-recorded show before
> watching and also set the "commercial skip' settings to skip
> automatically without showing the skip on screen.

Note that you don't need to set MythTV to automatically skip
commercials.  The commercial skip list is separate from the cut list.
Once you edit the recording and load the commercial skip list
(LOADCOMMSKIP, by default, Z or End) or create your own cut list, you
have created a cut list which will always be cut from playback.

If you only add cuts where commercial weren't detected and try to rely
on a combination of commercial skip list and cut lists, you would need
to set MythTV to automatically skip commercials. However, this is a bad
idea in general because there is no way to "unskip" a section of the
show that was mismarked as a commercial. So, you're better off loading
the commercial skip list and/or making a complete cut list. (FWIW, I
find it's actually easier to not load the skip list because it's easier
to add cuts than to remove or move them, so I just move through the
recording and SELECT to start and SELECT to end cuts where you actually
want them.)

Mike