[mythtv-users] Sudden issue with HDHomeRun on network switch?

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 22:58:22 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 5:35 PM Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Did you put the new power supplies in place, or use the older ones to
>> power the new units?  Just like the HD-PVR units, the wall-warts are the
>> issue over 90% of the time it seems.  I do not have a single Hauppage or
>> SiliconDust PS in place any longer (3x HDHR units and 2x HD-PVR units) -
>> they have *all* failed on me.
>>
>> The HDPVRs seem to fail 100% with no warning.  The HDHRs at least give
>> tuning delays for a few days (in my case) where I had time to swap them
>> (recordings remain in yellow in Mythfrontend, but still fully viewable).
>>
>> I but variable voltage units now - they cost a few bucks more, but even
>> the ones I used previously to replace the originals were failing sometimes,
>> so I figure my time is worth more than the price difference.
>>
>> Anyhow, long-winded answer, but make sure you put the new PS on the units
>> :)
>>

> Hi Greg, are you saying that the power supplies that come with the new
> HDHR4s are the ones to use or the ones to avoid? If they're the ones to
> avoid, what's the alternative?

I am just saying the failure rate of SDs wall-warts is very high compared
to all of my other devices with wall-warts (and a lot of other people on
this list as well).  They last a couple years generally (in my experience),
but that is definitely not stellar..  Just double checking that Tom was
using the new ones.