[mythtv-users] Sudden issue with HDHomeRun on network switch?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 22:18:24 UTC 2019

I had a REALLY odd one this week, and I'm not sure what this is all about:

I have two HDHomeRun Connect HDHR4-2US units. They've both been
connected to an 8 port switch I have for a long time. I expressly had
them on the switch so as to avoid having them dependent on the router.

On Monday I had several recordings fail. At that point I noticed that
the back of one HDHR was flashing red (no network connection). When I
tried to power it off and on it would get a link for a few seconds and
then drop it, and go to the blinking red status. I verified that the
switch port and cable were OK by connecting other devices and they all
worked OK. At that point I naturally figured that the HDHR, or the NIC
in it, must have died, so I ordered another. I actually ordered two
because 6th Ave Electronics (via Newegg) had them for $58 and free
shipping which is way cheaper than I generally see them.

They arrived today and when I hooked one up...SAME issue...drops the
link and flashes red after a few seconds...almost went ballistic. What
I found was that both the new one and the old one I thought was dead,
work perfectly connected to my router, but fail connected to ANY port
on the switch.

To make this even stranger, I now have a laptop of mine connected to
one of the same ports on that switch and it's working flawlessly. In
fact, my other (older) HDHR is working connected to the switch as it
always has.

I have no idea what to make of that at all. I can only think that
maybe the switch is going bad(?) and the requirements of the HDHR to
maintain a link are more restrictive than other devices?? Sort of
crazy. Any opinions would be welcome.

Tom