[mythtv-users] Multi-tenant type of setup

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 22:05:49 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 4:49 PM Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone has successfully setup MythTV to be a typee of
> multi-tenant setup.  2 cases:
> >
> > 1.  Same household, multiple viewers - same recording.  A good way to
> keep user 1 from deleting recordings before they are viewed by all - anyone
> ever come up with a design for this?
> >
> > 2.  Different Households - 1 backend (case 1 still applies as well).
> Recording Groups can keep them separate with views, but still #1 would
> apply and step on each other here.
> >
> > Anyone have something similar working with good results?
>
> AFAIK there is nothing to handle either of these cases. There was a thread
> some time ago here (IIRC it was several years) where it was discussed -
> discussing ways to make the system multi-user. IIRC there were thoughts
> along the lines of having a watched flag per user - so each user that
> flagged the recording rule as "theirs" would need to flag the recording as
> watched for it to be "watched." I suspect that such functionality is likely
> to be a long time coming as it's major chnages to the system and the
> underlying database schema - and it needs devs with the skills, motivation,
> and time to do it.

Yeah, I knew it was not really feasible from the default system definitions
and design specs, but there are a lot of people here who have been running
it much longer than I (over 10 year user), so I was just chumming the water
to see what others have done to combat this (if anything).

It might just be easiest to have an education moment for the other side to
honor the watched flags, but I am not really a API user, so I need to see
what options are there as far as marking watched, etc..

The other household I am referring to uses Kodi to watch MythTV, so I need
to investigate further my options and come up with a plan.

-Greg