[mythtv-users] Switching from SchedulesDirect to EIT

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 11:30:03 UTC 2019

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 00:49, jam at tigger.ws <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On 12 Mar 2019, at 11:16 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> >
> >> On 03/11/2019 09:49 PM, Tom Harris wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> When first setting up, I used EIT data (getting it via OTA).  It mostly worked, but the quality of the data was inferior to schedulesdirect.
> >>
> >> Thins like episode ids, air dates, descriptions just were not as good.  I'm not sure, but SD seems to 'standardize' the data no matter what channel is broadcasting it (so if show A is on channel 2, and repeated sometime later on channel 3, it will be properly marked as a dupe), where is with EIT, there may be differences so that reshowing may be considered different and thus re-recorded.
> >>
> >> In the end, I realized the nominal charge for SD was well worth the improved quality of the data (you get what you pay for, I suppose)
> >>

> > From what I have found when using EIT OTA, sometimes there is a description, sometimes not, whereas using SD nearly always gives a description.
> >
> > Also, I never get subtitle or season / episode over OTA.
> >
> > I use EIT OTA only for experimentation on a separate mythtv from my standard mythtv.
> >
> > I am using OTA as above from North Carolina.  Your mileage may vary depending on where you are.  SD is worth the $25 / year for good data.
>
> In Australia the EPG and it’s data are mandated by the regulator and it is better than the oz grabbler shepard being more upto date.
> Using hDhomerun with 1 channel [x] to get EPG data BUT the EPG gatherer does take HOURS to get all the data.
> I’ve never bothered to check the EPG process but if I turn ON my samsung TV then select program guide the data is all there including one channel that is never filled out (WTV) by mythtv and one channel that is mostly blank (Viceland HD). Perhaps the TV gathers data secretly when turned off.

MythTV stores the EPG data into a database and that is a
compute-intensive process. MythTV processes only a fraction of the
information that is coming in to prevent recording failures due to
lack of processor resources. MythTV uses 5 minutes to receive all the
guide data from one transport stream. After 5 minutes the next
transport stream is tuned, so if you have 20 transport streams it can
take 100 minutes before all EPG data is received.  My TV does not have
the guide data immediately after power-on but within a minute all the
guide data is there. The TV stores the guide data only in memory so
that can be really quick. AFAIK, depending on the provider, it can be
that a transport stream carries only the guide data for the programs
on that transport stream or that it carries the guide data for all
transports. MythTV takes the conservative approach and scans all
transport streams. However, there is definitely room for improvement,
I would like MythTV to be as fast as my TV in picking up guide data.

Groetjes,
Klaas.