[mythtv-users] Can't get my projector to work with Myth - HDMI Switch

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 17:46:46 UTC 2019

Allen:
> It would be nice to have an HDMI switch so I don't have to switch the
> cables but that is the next step.

A couple things come to mind with my use of HDMI switches around here.
Main one is if using a Raspberry Pi the RPi sometimes doesn't see the
final HDMI device (i.e. TV) fast enough and switches to its composite
video output and stays there until rebooted.  There is a simple fix to
the boot configuration file.

The switches won't work without a 5v (?) input, which is usually snagged
from an HDMI input; you may need an external DC Input, so either another
wall wart or a charging adapter with multiple 2A outputs.  (Thinking up
here where I have an RPi and HDMI switch, both need power.)

My switches (so limited experience) will automatically switch to the
last active device -- maybe better phrased 'latest activated input'.  If
you power up your BluRay player the switch will automatically switch to
that input, which isn't bad unless you're watching a different input.
That's happened once in over a year here.

I have found it handy to have an HDMI coupler for troubleshooting, that
way can take out the switch, connect the two male ends of the cable
together.  (I get mine from an out-of-country source at around 50¢ each.)

Barry