[mythtv-users] Mac osx

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Fri Mar 8 14:01:18 UTC 2019

> On Mar 8, 2019, at 8:34 AM, Jay Harbeston (ISeePeople) <jharbestonus at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Starting a new thread as the original thread got hosed by the mail stopped thread causing them to be threaded together:
>

> <quote>
> For the last 4-5 weeks, I've been back to plugging away at MythTV 29.x on macOS. Starting with MoisiePants pull request, I got the code to build successfully. So I resurrected my Parallels VM's for testing. Unfortunately, mythfrontend would crash hard at launch each and every time. I thought it might be a bug in the Parallels virtual environment (or just that it gets an odd-size screen). So I borrowed my wife's little-used MacBook Pro (late 2011). After a few small adventures setting up the build environment, it built successfully there too. mythfrontend did not _crash_ on launch--but only the top-left quarter of the screen was being properly displayed.
> </quote>
>
> I am using (v30-Pre) on my iMac machine. When I do —version, I get the following:
>
> ./MythFrontend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version : v30-Pre
> MythTV Branch :
> Network Protocol : 91
> Library API : 30.20170212-1
> QT Version : 5.5.1
> Options compiled in:
>  profile using_corevideo using_backend using_bindings_php using_darwin using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_libdns_sd using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video using_opengl_themepainter using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_profiletype using_appleremote using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libmp3lame
>
> This version works OK with my v29 backend, though it is only on infrequently and doesn’t get a ‘soaking’ test.

That is a now-elderly version of Qt.  Which version of MacOS are you running?

I know that others have gotten working versions of Myth v29 on OS X but it isn’t a slam dunk.  As my forum post says, different Qt versions ONLY work on certain MacOS versions.  Recent MacOS versions must use recent Qt releases.  In my testing, those combinations failed in a number of ways.  I am unwilling to package Myth v29 through MacPorts with those kinds of limitations.  That would inevitably lead to more support demands than I’m able—or even willing—to provide.

Craig
The MacPorts Guy