[mythtv-users] State of VDPAU

David Krainess davidkrainess at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 4 19:36:58 UTC 2019

Hi all,
For version 30, this is in the release notes:

   - Hardware accelerated H.265/HEVC decoding with VDPAU is not available any more for Nvidia users. (This feature may come back in MythTV 31 with the NVDEC extension. In the meantime OpenGL playback is recommended for H.265/HEVC playback. Another option is to stay with MythTV 29, perhaps with the patch in #13211, if surround sound is used, e.g. for German DVB T2 HD.)

I'm in North America, terrestrial, does this impact me?  I'm thinking of upgrading to 30 and using VDPAU on older desktops (circa 2007, GeForce 8500GT) in the house.  I'm thinking I'm OK, don't even think I ever heard of HEVC, but checking with this group.
Also, I purchased an Intel G4560 for $60 awhile ago, and I was very surprised the on CPU video seems to run MythTV flawlessly in 1080P.   I remember when VDPAU first came out, it was a pretty big deal and really helped out, but now I'm wondering if VDPAU is even relevant anymore with technological advancements in low end on chip/board video.  Or maybe VDPAU is helpful for newer standards, 4K and above.
Thoughts on the state of VDPAU?
Dave