[mythtv-users] Can't get my projector to work with Myth

Andrew Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Sun Mar 3 13:20:48 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-02 11:42 p.m., Allen Edwards wrote:
> <snipped>
> I think the problem is that I misread the specification on the
> projector.  While it says that it does 1080p, the maximum data rate is
> 1280x720 so the 1080p must be with an analog input.  Same with the
> monitor. It has a native resolution of 1280 x 1024.  Per the
> recommendation of everyone here, I set the TV up from my initial setup
> of 1280x720 to 1920x1280 when I upgraded to Mythbuntu-16.
>
> Option         "metamodes" "VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, HDMI-0:
> 1920x1080 +1280+0"
>
> When I was running Mythbuntu-8 which drove the projector and the TV
> just fine, I had everything set to 1280x720 as that is all the TV
> signal is anyway.
>
> So now I have to decide if I want to use the TV at 1920x1080 or
> downres so I can use the projector a few times a year or find some way
> to have the computer auto detect without turning the TV black. I
> believe there was also an issue with the Sony sending bad EDID data. I
> just read something about auto detecting 1360x768 instead of something
> useful.  Might be a different model but I recall there was an issue.
> Maybe there is a way to have X pick between 1280x720 and 1920x1024???
>
> The video card is "GeForce GTX 750 Ti"
>
> Well, I think I am at least understanding why it doesn't work.
>
> Allen

I don't think I ever set up a frontend where I hadn't had to tweak the
xorg.conf for the specific screen ( monitor, tv, projector, etc ) at
least a little ( ok, the Android frontend on my Shield went surprisingly
easy ).

Whether it be dealing with overscan, underscan, adjusting mode lines for
some specific resolutions/frame rates, or dealing with an older xorg
that couldn't handle the device not being there when it came out of
suspension, bad EDIDs, etc.

The issue is that these adjustments are generally specific to that
device and don't just work for all of them.

For one of my frontends, which has a primary output device (TV), and a
secondary I only use a few times a year (Projector), I ended up creating
an xorg.conf which has two SERVERLAYOUT sections, each of those two
sections specify their own DEVICE, SCREEN and MONITOR sections.

Most of the time, my frontend auto logs in the myth user, and
automatically starts "startx --layout TV". For the couple times a year I
use the projector, I logout then, log in manually, and "startx --layout
PROJECTOR".

FWIW: I tweaked the xorg.conf for the separate devices individually,
till I had everything the way I wanted it for that output device, and
then combined them, makes testing a lot easier as well.

Of course none of this solves your immediate issue, just a suggestion on
how you can run both configs going forward when you do get it working.
Stephan Worthington already gave some pretty good advice in that category.

Andrew.