[mythtv-users] Can't get my projector to work with Myth

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 11:53:16 UTC 2019

On 03/03/2019 04:42, Allen Edwards wrote:

> I think the problem is that I misread the specification on the
> projector.  While it says that it does 1080p, the maximum data rate is
> 1280x720 so the 1080p must be with an analog input.  Same with the
> monitor. It has a native resolution of 1280 x 1024.  Per the
> recommendation of everyone here, I set the TV up from my initial setup
> of 1280x720 to 1920x1280 when I upgraded to Mythbuntu-16.
>
> Option         "metamodes" "VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, HDMI-0:
> 1920x1080 +1280+0"

My box running Fedora 28  with a GT710 has

Option "metamodes" "HDMI-0: 1920x1080_50 +1680+0, VGA-0: 1680x1050_60 +0+0"

The TV appears physically to the right of the 1680x1050 monitor.

I have my default mythfrontend on the monitor under kde, set to
windowed, 1024x576 +64+64, started from a konsole tab as  "mythfrontend"

To get display on the TV I quit that instance and run "mythfrontend -nw
--geometry 1920x1080+1680+0" from the konsole tab.

In master there is a newish aspect-ratio problem with this arrangement;
I don't think it affects fixes.  DLNA and Firestick 4k are both ok.

Sound is almost always via hdmi and the tv, although I do have a default
combined ALSA virtual device.

I'm not sure how this would convert to a mythbuntu-derived environment:
in kubuntu I don't run any myth services, and run mythbackend,
mythfrontend.real from konsole tabs, as above.

If you tweak a few of the numbers (and can't find a better solution)
this might work for you.

John P