[mythtv-users] Can't get my projector to work with Myth

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 21:58:56 UTC 2019

Someone must know the answer to this really fast.

Myth has HDMI output connected to a TV at 1080 according to the TV. I want
to connect to my projector that is capable of a 1080 input.  I also have a
small monitor connected to Myth via RGB input but it also has a DVI input.
The cable to the projector is DVI but the projector is HDMI.

I inserted an audio stripper box so that my cables would work and with that
box I can play Myth into the TV just fine. I can connect and disconnect and
everything is happy. Myth is setup to not auto detect the monitor as that
caused all kind of problems. Maybe that is the problem but if I enable
whatever the hell that function is called, I just get black TV screen
because when the TV is turned off, Myth disconnects and never reconnects.

Bottom line is that if I insert the projector or monitor DVI cable into the
audio stripper instead of the TV, I get nothing.

I don't understand why the computer doesn't just output its signal and the
Projector detect it and display it.

I look in xorg.conf (is this still the right file? Probably not...) and I
see my monitor which is identified as a samsung, and the tv, which is not
identified so why should it care?. It has an output listed as 1920x1080
which the projector supports.

The goal is to be able to unplug the TV and plug in the projector and watch
the Oscars, or any other significant show on the big screen occasionally.
Normally the Projector is hooked up to a DVD player. I guess I could get a
new preamp that switched HDMI but that is a huge expense for something we
would only want to do a few times per year.

Anyone know what I should do?

Allen