[mythtv-users] New Rpi 4B - looks like it would make a great frontend

Tom Bishop bishoptf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 18:56:14 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019, 1:46 PM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> I just saw an ad for the new Raspberry Pi 4B that has just been
> released:
>
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/
>
> The specs look very good for a MythTV frontend:
>
> Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
> 1GB, 2GB or 4GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM (depending on model)
> 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
> Gigabit Ethernet
> 2 USB 3.0 ports; 2 USB 2.0 ports.
> Raspberry Pi standard 40 pin GPIO header (fully backwards compatible
> with previous boards)
> 2 × micro-HDMI ports (up to 4kp60 supported)
> 2-lane MIPI DSI display port
> 2-lane MIPI CSI camera port
> 4-pole stereo audio and composite video port
> H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
> OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics
> Micro-SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage
> 5V DC via USB-C connector (minimum 3A*)
> 5V DC via GPIO header (minimum 3A*)
> Power over Ethernet (PoE) enabled (requires separate PoE HAT)
> Operating temperature: 0 – 50 degrees C ambient
>
> The gigabit Ethernet port is apparently now full speed - not hampered
> by going through a USB port.
>
> If it can really do 4K @ 60 Hz, at that price it makes a frontend per
> room easily affordable.  And those specs are better than the PC I
> first ran MythTV on.

Yeah I have quite a few Pi's doing stuff and started with one as a
frontend. I've gotten to the point that if I can't decide in software via
the CPU then it's a toss up. Not sure how much stronger the CPU is vs the
pi3 but hardware decoders are hit an miss. I'm currently using a Nvidia
shield now and had to find the right decoder for it to play nice with all
the various formats at least in the states with 1080i etc.

I will definitely purchase one to play with it since for the base line unit
is still decently priced.