[mythtv-users] Videos in database not appearing in UI

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sat Jun 22 22:38:25 UTC 2019

On 22/06/2019 15:37, jam at tigger.ws wrote:

>> On 22 Jun 2019, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>>
>> Been looking at this for a few days to no avail.
>> I've used the FE Video function for many years to scan my MBE hard drive
>> using mythutil --scanvideos and have a cron job that runs in the background.
>>
>> Every so often, *some* directories just don't show up in the UI.  I can see
>> them on disk and in the videometadata table in mysql.  File permissions are
>> identical to the videos that do show up.  This happened this week.  Was
>> watching a video on Monday night, come back a few days later and the wife
>> reports that "it's gone".  The only changes during that time was to move an
>> old linux FE to a fire stick 4k (different FE from where the issue
>> occurred).
>>
>> FWIW, I see the exact same output when I go into the Myth WebFrontent on my
>> MBE IP (Videos -> Video Gallery).  Given that, it does not appear to be a
>> FE specific issue.
>>
>> MBE is 30 fixes (just upgraded to b9c1b41a6c today on the MBE) , FE are
>> Fire Stick 4ks
>>
>> I don't mind digging into code, debugging, etc, but I'm not quite sure
>> where to start
> IMveryHO the whole issue of not scanning a video twice based on it’s checksum is a design blunder. Like thee it caused me many moments of great angst
>
> You can scan an empty directory, then your real. videos to reset the DB and have a clean start.
> The problem is this will wipe your metadata.
>
> I wrote a small utility to scan the video directory looking for duplicates (which are quite easy to get IIEC the checksum is 16 bit. I used QT to make a console app so the usual qmake, make sequence.
> Mail me if you’d like a copy.
>
> Using this you can find and descide what to do with dups. Shotcut is your friend
> James

I think the idea of the checksum is to avoid loosing metadata when
videos are moved. What is supposed to happen is if a video is moved
within the file system then MythVideo should detect that and update the
location of the video in the database keeping the original metadata
intact. If you think it's broken why not provide a patch to fix it,
clearly you have the ability?

Paul H.