[mythtv-users] Remote and blaster without LIRC?

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Tue Jun 18 20:09:15 UTC 2019

On 6/12/2019 10:42 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 09:28:30 -0400, you wrote:

>>> using a driver named "mceusb".  The IRW output looks OK, but the arrow
>>> keys are not the best ones to use as an example as they also tend to
>>> work even without LIRC due to how the other paths for processing IR
>>> input work.  The KEY_BACK example though is a key that normally does
>>> not work without the LIRC setup being right, so that looks good.
>>>
>>> The "ircat mythtv" command should be looking at ~/.lircrc for its
>>> config file.  On a normal MythTV system, that file is just a set of
>>> include commands to read other files.  Here is mine from
>>> /home/stephen/.lircrc:
>>>
>>> stephen at mypvr:~$ cat .lircrc
>>> #Custom lircrc generated via mythbuntu-lirc-generator
>>> #All application specific lircrc files are within ~/.lirc
>>> include ~/.lirc/mythtv
>>> include ~/.lirc/mplayer
>>> include ~/.lirc/xine
>>> include ~/.lirc/vlc
>>> include ~/.lirc/xmame
>>> include ~/.lirc/xmess
>>> include ~/.lirc/totem
>>> include ~/.lirc/elisa
>>> include ~/.lirc/irexec
>>>
>>> You need to run ircat from the same user as mythfrontend is run from,
>>> in order for it to find the correct .lircrc file.  From the above, it
>>> looks like you are doing that, but I can not be completely sure.
>>>
>>> In the files included from .lircrc, the convention is that each of
>>> those files will have the settings for the program that matches the
>>> file's name.  So all the settings for mplayer will be in the mplayer
>>> file and all the settings for mythtv will be in the mythtv file.
>>> However, the way LIRC works is that what matters is what is in each
>>> individual setting, so if you get something in a different file that
>>> has the settings for mythtv, it will work.  And it could override a
>>> valid earlier setting that you have made with a later invalid one.  So
>>> you need to watch out for that.  If you are not using any programs
>>> other than mythtv with LIRC, and you want to absolutely rule out any
>>> problems like that, you can just comment out all the other includes in
>>> the .lircrc file by putting a # character at the start of the line.
>>>
>>> So all the LIRC settings for program "mythtv" should be in
>>> ~/.lirc/mythtv.  Settings for program "mythtv" are identified by a
>>> "prog = mythtv" line.  Here is my Escape / Back button:
>>>
>>> begin
>>>       remote = devinput
>>>       prog = mythtv
>>>       button = KEY_BACK
>>>       config = Escape
>>>       repeat = 0
>>>       delay = 0
>>> end
>>>
>>> What that says is when LIRC receives an input from the "devinput"
>>> driver, and is attached to program "mythtv", it should translate any
>>> "KEY_BACK" signals it receives into the keystroke "Escape" and send
>>> that to program "mythtv".  MythTV has settings in mythfrontend that
> [...]
I have all the remote buttons working with LIRC now, so, here's a
summary of what I did.  I'm not sure all the steps were correct or
necessary, but they seem to work.  I started with a new Mate-Ubuntu
18.04 installation that had the remote working without lirc.  After
realizing blaster was not supported in the kernel-only method, I
abandoned the lirc-less approach and started over.

Reading through the latest LIRC documentation was helpful to understand
the theory, but a bit confusing on the actual steps. Also, the
installation packages had some issues, so I used Stephen's script and
several other steps instead.

*Downloaded Stephen's script and saved to /home/don/Downloads/lirc_ubuntu*
http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh

*Run the script*
$ cd /home/don/Downloads/lirc_ubuntu
don at johnny:~/Downloads/lirc_ubuntu$ sudo ./lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh
....answered user don for who would run mythfrontend question
don at johnny:~/Downloads/lirc_ubuntu$ sudo reboot

*Run lirc-setup from X-windows*
-Access X windows > Open a terminal
don at johnny:~$ cd /etc/lirc
don at johnny:/etc/lirc$ sudo lirc-setup
[sudo] password for don:

*From the top half of lirc-setup window*
-Click "Use default driver..." button
-Click "Use preconfigured capture device..." button; pick USB and then
Microsoft mce remotes gear

*From the bottom half of lirc-setup window*
-Search and browse buttons didn't work for me, so I opened a browser and
navigated to:
https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc-remotes/code/ci/master/tree/remotes/
-Scroll down and click mceusb > download mceusb.lirc.conf and save to
/home/don/Downloads/lirc_ubuntu
-Return  to the lirc-setup program and select "Use local file"
-Navigate to and select the mceusb.lirc.conf file just downloaded.
-Click the "Write configuration" button to save selections.  Exit the
lirc-setup program.
-The lirc-setup program creates a readme that instructs you to move four
files, but mine only created one.  I moved lirc_options.config to
/etc/lirc and ignored the other three instructions.

At this point I thought lirc should be working.  It wasn't, so I had to
do a couple of more steps.

*.lircrc*
-Copied .lirdrc from a working 16.04 installation to /home/don
-This file has an include list that points to several application button
setups (mythtv, mplayer, etc.).

*/.lirc*
-Copied the .lirc directory and it's contents from a working 16.04 box
to /home/don/.lirc/.
-This directory has the application setups (mythtv, mplayer, etc.) that
.lircrc (from previous step) pointed-to.

don at jonny:~/.lirc$ ls -l
total 84
-rw-rw-r-- 1 don don     6979 Dec 17  2017 elisa
-rw-rw-r-- 1 don don     6636 Dec 17  2017 mplayer
-rwxrw-rw- 1 don mythtv 12485 Feb 13  2016 mythtv
-rwxrw-rw- 1 don don    12253 Dec 17  2017 mythtv.old
-rw-rw-r-- 1 don don     5746 Dec 17  2017 totem
-rw-rw-r-- 1 don don     7101 Dec 17  2017 vlc
-rw-rw-r-- 1 don don     6876 Dec 17  2017 xine
-rw-rw-r-- 1 don don     6434 Dec 17  2017 xmame
-rw-rw-r-- 1 don don     6434 Dec 17  2017 xmess

*Sym link to /home/don/.lirc/*
-Created a link to point to the application button files

don at johnny:~$
don at johnny:~$ cd ~/.mythtv
don at johnny:~/.mythtv$ ln -s ../.lircrc lircrc

At this point, the buttons were working pretty well, but some still
needed adjustments, so I edited them as needed.  The "button = " line
must have an entry that matches entries in
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/mceusb.lircd.conf.

*Example: modified guide button in /home/don/.lirc/mythtv*
begin
     remote = mceusb
     prog = mythtv
#    button = Guide
     button = KEY_EPG
     config = S
     repeat = 0
     delay = 0
end

All remote buttons are now working, but blaster is missing something.
Blaster hardware was previously defined in hardware.conf, but that
config file is replaced with something in lirc_options.conf.  Not sure
what's missing, so maybe another discussion thread is needed.

Don

Extra notes:

*Instructions for lirc-less installation*
https://blogging.dragon.org.uk/using-ir-keytable-with-mythtv/?unapproved=274&moderation-hash=500e93385dc89c8bd7a0dcc2b8a1eb3d#comment-274

*Re-ran lirc installation script (lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh)*
-Got duplicate entries (Unit/Service/Install) in
/etc/systemd/system/lirc-dev.service and service would not start;
removed duplicates and all is well.

*Using wrong remote*
-/etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/mceusb.lircd.conf has setting for three remotes
(mceusb, mceusb_hauppauge, vista_mce)
-journalctl reported it was using vista_mce; I removed mceusb_hauppauge
and vista_mce; now reports mceusb.

don at johnny:~$ journalctl -b0 /usr/sbin/lircd | tail -30
Jun 18 14:55:32 johnny lircd-0.10.0[1086]: Info: Using remote: mceusb.

PS - Stephen and Alec...thanks for the help

---