[mythtv-users] UK Freeview channel numbers shuffle

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 13:06:41 UTC 2019

On 13/06/2019 10:37, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 at 11:13, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I saw a newspaper ad yesterday saying that "Yesterday" had moved to
>> Freeview 25.  I did an "All known transports" scan, which gave it a much
>> larger channel number.  A second scan fixed it for me, but what happens
>> might depend on options chosen.  "Dave" has moved too, to 19.  Probably
>> a few more as well.
>>
> An unexpected channel number can be caused by a timeout on a transport
> scan. If you get that it has usually missed the NIT; in that case the
> logical channel numbers are not known and then the service id's are
> used as channel numbers instead. This are usually high numbers.
>
> With the option (in master) of "Logical Channel Numbers required" only
> channels with a logical channel number are selected.
>
> Groetjes,
> Klaas.

I think I'm suffering from wet-trees-in-the-line-of-sight syndrome, but
now have what looks like a good and up-to-date set of channels on the
MyGica T230, too.  All channels are now in the range 1 to 800 and all
were reported as "probable" during the scan, which started with all
channels deleted.

During a sequence of scans all transports locked and found probable or
possible channels;  but some unused transports were reported.  They
weren't identified, but could be traced.  I expect nine.  As would be
expected with a poor signal, they weren't the same ones every time.  I'm
seeing a lot of "pes length... cannot be queried" errors at present.

The mix of identifiers reported, and the usually long intervals between
needing to do all this, still make establishing channel lists feel
unpredictable - but in master now I find it much better than it used to
be.  And then the trees were smaller and there was no need to switch
delivery systems.  Thank you!

John