[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 1609 and Pixelation Tests

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Wed Jun 5 02:37:59 UTC 2019

> On 4 Jun 2019, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> By the way, people who were used to the old analogue TV usually have
>> the wrong idea about pixellation.  They think of it as degraded
>> picture, which was a gradual thing in the analogue system, ranging
>> from present but not visible except to a trained eye, through nasty
>> but still watchable, all the way to completely unwatchable (but the
>> audio was usually still hearable).  But in the digital system,
>> pixellation is really loss of signal for short periods, not degraded
>> signal.
>
>    Yes: half-know the analog signal?s fluctuations and drop outs were
>    better tolerated by the human brain as a more natural rise and fall
>    as opposed to a digital signal?s square wave rise/fall. The brain
>    was able to sort of fill-in the missing/erroneous analog signal. And
>    of course the faulty digital data gets displayed as odd-coloured
>    squares, again not found in nature. You gave the technical
>    explanation, which did fill in some of my ?pixelated? learning. <g>

Of interest when I was trying HDhomerun VLC handled bad-packets in a more human-friendy way than myth. It did not sqwark and did not pixelate in the same way

watching: was that pixelation ?? minor video artifact but easily-misable.
Generally watched 15 minutes of ‘my worst using HD’ and not noticed much on VLC but really suffered with myth.

IE I think subjectivly a (I speculate) previously displayed packet is redisplayed. But it is visually less intusive to see a flicker on not-quite-right image than a red (or whatever) block.

Hmmm
James