[mythtv-users] BE3 - Issues with installation and database
barry3martin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 16:01:07 UTC 2019
<my font errors>
When I installed that for testing, they turned up here:
That directory does not exist. ...Well, I have to go down to
So I have put them on my web server:
You can install them by running this:
rm -v Droid*
tar xvf mythtv-fonts.tar.bz2
If you want to keep the fonts in case there are problems
Hahaha: “if” and “in case”!! <G> Actually I do not expect any
problem after we get this figured out but backups are good!
Well this is interesting: prior to step 2 I did an ls to make
certain that directory was present; listed:
root at Backend-3:/home/barry# ls /usr/share/mythtv/fonts
DroidSerif-Bold.ttf 'Tiresias Infofont Bold.ttf'
DroidSerif-Italic.ttf 'Tiresias Infofont Italic.ttf'
DroidSerif-Regular.ttf 'Tiresias Infofont.ttf'
root at Backend-3:/home/barry#
So present but ?? (Just my usual curiosity.)
barry at Backend-3:~$ ls /usr/share/mythtv/fonts
FreeSansBoldOblique.ttf 'Tiresias Infofont Bold.ttf'
FreeSansBold.ttf 'Tiresias Infofont Italic.ttf'
FreeSansOblique.ttf 'Tiresias Infofont.ttf'
barry at Backend-3:~$
So several missing originally for some reason.
Did ‘mythfrontend’ (via Terminal, half-habit, half easier to get out
of if a problem), the text is a little small but does look
cleaner/nicer and no ugly overlapping. Realize some of that is
Theme-dependent but they (should) all draw from the same font
library, so thanks for fixing that error!
Whatever is going on, the frontend and backend are not talking to each
other properly. There is nothing in the logs that I can see that
tells us what the cause of the problem is. So I would suggest that
you copy the config.xml file from an RPi that is working with one of
the other backends and see if that works on the new RPi. If it does,
that verifies that the new RPi is set up properly, and we can then go
back to testing with BE3. If not, then it is something in the RPi
When you copied the BE3 /etc/mythtv/config.xml file to the RPi, I
presume you edited it to set the correct IP address (as it currently
has localhost). Did you make any other changes? Where is it
installed on the RPi?
The RPi was configured from instructions at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi . They like a utility
called “MythTV Light” https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_Light
Followed their instructions and so created a unique config.xml on
the Pi, which is this:
pi at raspberrypi:~ $ cat /home/pi/.mythtv/config.xml
<LocalHostName>RPi 3 B+</LocalHostName>
<Command>echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'</Command>
I see a few differences (!).
Copy the original, trying the insert BE3’s config.xml (had been
changed 192.168.0.3 previously)…
?? Something get undone?? Noted the various config.xml’s on the
Backend were the same colour – white. Link is a light blue, IIRC.
/etc/mythtv/config/xml has ‘localhost’
/home/barry/.mythtv/config.xml also has ‘localhost’ and extra lines
Both of these are white with a ‘ls’ command.
This one is light blue: /home/mythtv/.mythtv.config.xml and appears
to be linking to the file at /etc/mythtv/config/xml
OK, if I change the Backend’s Frontend config from localhost to
192.168.0.3 it has problems: can’t find the server, etc. Chaned back
to localhost – back to the Backend’s Frontend working
Man an I getting confused!
OK, on the RPi:
Seems to display the “Watch Recordings” list correctly, including a
show recorded earlier this morning. So guessing the RPi Frontend is
communicating with the other computer “Backend-3” Also getting the
programme information, for whatever theme I’m using is at the bottom
of the screen: show’s title, station, when recorded, summary blurb,
file size, various status icons (commercials flagged, stereo, Closed
Captioning available, etc.).
Not getting a preview picture.
Select the show and (still because haven’t worked on that yet)
Can’t start playback
Failed to open remote file myth://
So I’d guess the RPi can get data from the database but not the
preview picture nor the video file on the Backend itself.
OK - - copy in the ‘short form” config.xml from BE3 to the RPI and
Well poo: that should teach me to question an expert! Now get the
‘preview picture’ and the actual video file plays. Slow and jerky
and no sound but haven’t configured those yet. Also using (5 GHz)
WiFi which may or may not be a sufficient quick transfer avenue
compared to Ethernet. (Sort of doing two experiments in one: where
I’d like to use this RPi eventually installing a wire not overly easy.)
Will post this so far, see about the audio and video and the other
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the mythtv-users