[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 1609 and Pixelation Tests

Jay Harbeston jharbestonus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 13:15:45 UTC 2019

>>> Most of the reception problem here seems to be external factors,
>>> combined with tuner specs, I think similar to your issues. Calm wind,
>>> good recordings. Windy conditions, start to get pixelation issues; seems
>>> to be some correlation with the RF Channel (the actual frequency the TV
>>> station is transmitting, not its virtual channel), though that tends to
>>> fall apart as locally there are two stations, one RF36 and the other
>>> RF38, both 1000KW, on literally the same tower. yet RF36 will pixelate
>>> horribly and RF38 will be a clear picture.

> “4x” is a 4-way signal splitter.
>
> The 1600 and 2250 tuners are inside the old Backend (BE1); the 1609 is inside the new Backend (BE3). The signal strength to the 1609 should be the same as what is going to the 1600 and 2250. What happens inside the tuner card with single, dual and quad tuner devices is another level.

By the way, when you are splitting 4 ways, you are cutting the signal in half, and then in half again, bear in mind that the signal strength is measured in dB, which is a logarithmic loss, so losing 3 dB for example is I believe losing 10 to the third power.
For reception experts I am going to recommend the digitalhome.ca site again. They know this reception stuff and can help you best with that problem, and probably get you ‘thinking right’ regarding over the air reception! :-)